Even though I prefer my web servers to run Linux, I just can’t seem to switch my personal computer to Linux just yet. From an end-user standpoint, Linux is still very rough around the edges, here’s my personal checklist (in no particular order) that I’d like to see fulfilled.
- The ability to install a piece of software without having to invoke a CLI.
- A full-featured development environment (that’s not Eclipse) that rivals Visual Studio in C++ development.
- A non-Unix-like file system.
- Better manual when you buy a distribution (SUSE manual: case and point).
- Better IHV driver support.
- Better native ISV software support without having to run Wine.
- And the coup de grâce: An OpenGL specification that can compete with Direct3D.
Don’t get me wrong, I have nothing against Linux itself, in fact much of my development time goes into LAMP related work. But for the desktop it just seems like a CLI-ridden nightmare at the moment.